Just in case you are wondering where the heck I’ve been… because I just know you’ve been losing sleep each night and we just can’t have that can we?
10. Sticky Chicken. The very last recipe I was making before my world became turned upside down. Ladies and gentlemen, this is one sticky but delicious mess. Being the procrastinator that I can be at times, I am still trying to rework the instructions to ensure success before posting the recipe on my blog. This recipe is actually prepared mostly in the crock-pot but there is definitely a science to it. When the Test Panel tried it, they declared it an immediate winner!
My Test Panel, consisted of Thing 1 (soon to be age 16) and Thing 2 (soon to be 30… I mean 13. For further clarification on this matter, you can read all about Thing 2 right over here. Thing 1 (my pickiest eater) instantly proclaimed, “with chicken like this, who needs Panda Express?” As of this writing, I’m still not sure if I should be flattered or insulted by this declaration but I’m sure through the lense of a teenage boy, this is the most highest form of flattery.
9. A call from the Emergency Room. Literally, the day after I made the sticky chicken, I received a call at one o’clock in the morning from the hospital. My 82 year-old dad had a heart attack.
8. Non-stop trips to the Cardiac ICU. Unfortunately, the heart attack led his admission to two hospitals, a triple bypass surgery and countless trips to ICU.
7. A week’s long staycation with my family. Sadly, this event all coincided with my family’s first cruise on Carnival Cruise Lines. We, of course, cancelled our trip so we could support each other and white knuckle our way through the endless tests, surgery and recovery of my Dad. On a brighter and more personal note, my husband and I consider ourselves to be 100% optimist most of the time. And the one positive thing we took out of this horrid experience (besides the given – my Dad fully recovered) is this…
We are a “blended” family of 6 and oh by the way, a newlywed couple of one year this month. During this past week, a lot of tears were shed by everybody but as a family every single member came together as one. During this emotionally charged week, our family pulled together like it never did before. There were unsolicited hugs, random acts of kindness, somber moments of support and incredible moments of bravery, self sacrifice and selflessness. While we never would wish this circumstance to ever happen in a million years, the outcome and aftermath is truly a blessing beyond even words I can express.
6. Movies. On a much lighter note, we did manage to squeeze in some fun family moments during the week. Seeing Despicable Me 2 being one of the more noteworthy. How can anyone NOT smile at the beloved minions?
5. Summer Waves, Jekkyl Island. We managed to do what Floridians do best… have fun in the sun.. and hit a local Water Park.
4. Adventure Landing, Jacksonville Beach.
We played mini golf, air hockey, road on go-karts, and played mini-golf!
3. Jacksonville Beach. We walked on the beach at sunset.
2. After a whirlwind week full of both ups and down, tears and hugs, laughter … complete exhaustion.
1. And the number reason I didn’t update my blog over the past 13 days… (besides of my Dad, of course 😉 I didn’t cook! Not once.
With that I leave you today, with the promise of posting the infamous “Who Needs Panda Express Anyway? Sticky Chicken” tomorrow.